Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Statement from Chapter President: Raelene Walker, MD, FAAP
June 12, 2020
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Chapter Chat (7/21/2020)
We are joined by exceptional leaders Drs. Shaquita Bell, Rhea Boyd, J. Raul Gutierrez & Tiffani Johnson to address indigenous, latinx, and black inequities, disparities experienced by these youth and what WE as pediatricians can do about it.
Resources shared in the comments: ACCESS
Anti-Racism Resources & Action Steps for Pediatricians
You are invited to edit, add to, and share this crowd-sourced google doc with a compilation of anti-racism resources and action steps for physicians caring for children!
Consider updating a subsection of interest to you, adding a link after you read a thought-provoking article or helpful list, and/or sharing info about opportunities to get involved. There are tons of great resources and lists floating around online and on social media — this living document aims to keep high-quality resources in one searchable place! For editing access or questions/suggestions, email Stephanie Y. Fong Gomez, MD.
- Smithsonian Magazine: 158 RESOURCES TO UNDERSTAND RACISM IN AMERICA
- History of Segregation
- Explaining Racism to Children
- Playing for Justice: Reflections on America
- Movies to Watch About Racism
Anti-Racism and Social Justice:
- Anti-Racism Resources from Seattle Children’s
- Creating Social Justice
- Coping and Getting Involved
- Tackling Racism: President Obama’s Remarks
Improving Health Equity:
- IHI: Liberation in the Exam Room: Racial Justice and Equity in Healthcare
- IHI: Improving Health Equity: Guidance for HealthCare Organizations
COVID-19 and Racial Disparities:
How to Talk to Your Kids About Racism:
- How to Talk to Your Kids about Race and Racism | UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals
- How to Talk to Your Kids about Protests and Racism | CNN
Resources for Parents:
Police Violence & Health Impact
Rhea Boyd, MD, MPH, FAAP has been an advocate for children in the realms of mental health and police violence. She is using her voice now — in very high demand — across wide-ranging academic and media platforms. California Chapter 1, AAP feels fortunate to amplify her message and amazing work to her fellow chapter members. Twitter: @RheaBoydMD
- Hearing on “Health Care Inequality: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in COVID-19 and the Health Care System” (6/17/2020) – The Subcommittee on Health of the Committee on Energy and Commerce held a remote hearing on Wednesday, June 17, 2020.
- “You Realize It’s a Privilege to Worry That Protests Will Cause a Second Wave of Coronavirus, Right?” in Cosmopolitan (6/16/2020)
- “Stolen Breaths” article in New England Journal of Medicine (6/10/2020)
- Harvard Kennedy School: A Discussion on Black Lives, Protest, and Democracy (6/9/2020, 1h) – Protests continue to sweep across the United States following the violent killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Breonna Taylor in Louisville, and countless others at the hands of police. Join the Ash Center for a conversation with leading scholars and practitioners about the protests, their place in the long fight for social justice, and what they tell us about the state of democracy in America today.
- Tradeoffs Podcast: “It Takes a Toll” (6/2/2020) – This is a 15 minute podcast on the relationship between police violence and health.
- Wall Street Journal: “How to Talk to Your Children About the Protests“ (6/5/2020)
- WGBH Boston: “Despite COVID Risks, Experts And Officials Support Public Demonstrations” (6/5/2020)
- CNN: “How to talk to your children about protests and racism” (6/2/2020)
- California Chapter 1, AAP Chapter Member Chat, Solution Share: “COVID-19 & Equity” (4/23/2020, 1h)
- Advocating for Children Together (ACT) 2019: Police Violence (10/5/2019)